Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Make A Plan.. And Then Commit To It!

Yesterday I had a plan before I even got on Holden -- and even though the latter half of the plan was not executed (some small jumping) I was able to see first hand what a difference having a Plan does for your effectiveness while riding. While we were warming up at the walk I formulated and told Taylor what I wanted to accomplish today - I wanted quiet transitions and a big trot - with cantering early on. I made the mistake with my last OTTB Spooky that I always cantered at the end of the ride and then ended there.. which meant I spent too much time working on trotting and not enough time developing our comfort level at the canter. It should come as no surprise that Spooky would then assume he was done after a change of direction and a few circles of canter.. Dumb of me, right?

Anyway, I could have asked Holden for more bend and a little more roundness. I definitely see an improvement in my posture but I need to remember to sit further back (my seat bones) and pick up my hands - what seems to help is envisioning that I am holding two cups of coffee. Looking to the outside of the circle helps me keep my posture more correct, and prevents me from collapsing my inside and leaving Holden high and dry around the turn.

I also need to improve my timing, which right now is as about painfully inaccurate as Taylor's perception of fashion sense ;) Holden is having some difficulty picking up the right lead reliably - in part I believe it is due to the fact that I am not riding him effectively and timing the cue when his inside hind leg is underneath me. 

Overall in watching the video I see a better quality tempo, but I need to focus on my position and driving him forward with my seat rather than holding him back with my reins. Driving with my seat makes me drop my knees which makes me less likely to pinch them or post with my ankles. Riding him forward makes him more engaged and perceptive and in turn, makes me feel less out of control. I need to pick up my hands high, which will also change my shoulder blades back.  

Holden got a little unfocused towards the end, which was partially my fault as I did not get after him and ride him more assertively. We finished with trot circle transitions.



No comments:

Post a Comment