Sunday, May 24, 2015

Double Hill Summit down!

Holden was great the last three days. We spent Friday hacking across our neighboring territory, which involved going up dunes, seeing some rogue cows, and trotting down Blood Road (a private dirt road) to escape the flies, who were out with a vengeance that day. Holden lead Chism most of the way with a 'take charge' attitude for once -- no silliness besides the head-tossing from the flies.

On Saturday we went across the road to Hartwell conservation land, a gorgeous swath of windy trails (most not perfectly manicured) and steep hills. We went the double-hill route, which is quite the gauntlet for an unfit horse. Both horses were winded at the summit, with good recovery time. We navigated some sloppy gullies and when our trail involuntarily ended we pioneered some new trails.. Holden took this in stride and seemed perfectly fine crawling his way through the underbrush, though I will note he is not as savvy with where to place his feet as Chism is. 

Sunday the four of us (Holden & I, Chism & Katie) went to HGP for a dressage school before our lesson on Monday. Chism seemed a little ouchy on the tough ground so Katie walked him only - wonder if he perhaps is sore from our hard work-out on Saturday. Holden was very sensible until I asked to trot in which he seemed immediately defensive - I moved the saddle back and removed the martingale (tried a new one) and he was much better. I also think having Chism off in the distance made him anxious. 

We moved to a small sand dressage ring and worked on changes of bend and transitions from walk-to-trot until I felt he was supple.. He still seemed kind of frustrated and nervous, but settled into work fine and when Chism & Katie came over to watch and film he buckled right down into work. It was hot and I think he was tired from worrying so much, but due to my less than stellar riding I could not get him to pick up the right lead .. I just kept trying and trying and getting the left. Holden was hot and was starting to get quite frustrated, I switched direction to the left after multiple unsuccessful attempts and asked for a canter and he gave me a seamless depart and nice lope-like canter..  He felt sound and fine but I wonder if the heat (it was 80s) and waiting too long into the warm-up to canter is what did him in.. I wanted to end it on a good note so I finished going to the left in a nice stretchy trot circle and he felt great. A little disappointed in myself that I couldn't set him up for success with the right lead - I am wondering (it is also his less strong direction) if cantering earlier in the warm up (and also not STARTING with that direction) would help. He does need me to hold his hand through the transition and I am afraid I was not riding 100% on my game today. 

Tomorrow we have a lesson.. hopefully it will be better than the last one!

No comments:

Post a Comment