Friday, June 5, 2015

Dangit!

Obligatory Holden Selfie..
Well, it's been raining a lot. Holden was great the past week. We spent most of last week doing some trail riding due to the slippery footing in the outdoor - on Wednesday the grass was no longer slick and we did lots of pole work and transitions in the ring... Unfortunately, on Thursday I noticed some minor but suspicious swelling in his LF.. Awww... man! 

Not 100% sure what it is, he is trotting sound and looked fantastic when he decided to play 'keep away' (insert pained grumbling - DINGUS!). But there is heat, mostly higher up. I am a little concerned it may be the Injury-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. I poulticed and wrapped but didn't bute - I noticed while I was hand grazing him pre-wrapping that it seemed to go down with movement, so I was hopeful it was just from maybe standing around all day (it's been really muddy). Or. it is possible he slipped -- it's quite muddy. On Tuesday we had a pretty good work out and the more I think the more I am thinking "oh God what have I done have I broken my pony is he broken what did I do oh my God I am the worst"...


But today it was largely the same - a little less swollen, but still warmer than the other leg. He looked sound when we jogged him out, and no headbobbing on a tighter circle - take that, Injury-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named! I am really hoping it is just the beginning of an abscess, but he's so sound on it I'm not sure. I don't want to stall him if he is sound and comfortable - in the off chance it is an abscess the movement will help him.

In any event, we poulticed and wrapped again. No bute still - I am going to give his leg until tomorrow to shape the frick up and get itself together before getting the vet involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment