Wednesday, September 25, 2013

New shoes!

"Hello! Another supplicant come to deliver treats??"
The farrier came today to take Holden's race-shoes (aluminum) off and put some regular steel shoes on his hooves. I asked the farrier about the crack on Holden's RF, which is small -- but I wanted to know what we were working with. He said it shouldn't be something to worry about and was probably a stress crack from racing -- and now that Holden is not in that caliber of work anymore he doubts it will bother him and will eventually go away. He did note that Holden was sensitive about his LH being handled - something I was wondering if he would pick up on -- Holden held the leg up fine and was okay with the shifting and contorting one must do to trim a hoof behind, but he lifted up his leg quite dramatically and almost seemed huffy about having it trimmed. He has been doing the same for me -- though not quite as dramatic -- where sometimes if I brush or go to  pick out that hoof he can lift it up as if startled. He held the leg as it was contorted just fine, which to me may mean it no longer hurts him but at one time it did -- and he didn't fuss while the leg was held out at an angle to trim. I asked the farrier about Holden's bulges that appear about halfway down his hoof, and he said he had never seen them in a horse before but it may have something to do with nutrition or feed. Which makes sense because Holden changed owners about a year ago at the track and his feed probably changed as well.

Holden's trademark expression..
His leg looked good today, though there was still some residual puffiness around the inside/outside of the leg below his scrape. The scrape is healing up nicely however. The thickness of his ankle is much the same as it was yesterday - which to me is a good sign as I didn't put any Surpass on it yesterday. I am thinking he just needs some time to enjoy being a horse for now, and that I will take things extra slowly. He had today off as well -- and he happily returned to his paddock after a successful shoeing. He is barefoot behind now - the farrier mentioned he had the feet to go barefoot if I wanted, but I'd rather him be front shod for the winter and then see where we are. After all, I'd like that crack on his RF to grow out.

I called the vet yesterday to make an appointment for his teeth but had to leave a message - and I am thinking of asking them to take some films of his LH while they are out. I think I'd like to know just exactly what I am dealing with -- as it is mind boggling to me that he is completely sound as of now, and yet still has thickness in his ankle. If/when the vet calls back we will discuss. 

 But that's it for today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment